The FINCISE2.0 (Valvonta 4) project is deploying the data services provided through the EU's Common Information Sharing Environment (CISE) for European sea areas
Improving the exchange of maritime surveillance data is one of the key objectives of the EU's integrated maritime policy. For years, Finland has been actively involved in the development of maritime surveillance data exchange both within the EU and at the national level through cooperation between different authorities.
The EU's Common data Sharing Environment (CISE) is a voluntary, collaborative initiative operating within the European Union. It seeks to promote the exchange of surveillance data, thereby promoting the effectiveness, quality, responsiveness and coordination of EU maritime surveillance activities. Better exchange of data will help to increase cooperation between authorities and avoid duplication of data collection and investments.
The Finnish Border Guard’s FINCISE2.0 (Valvonta 4) project has received EUR 500,000 from the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) for the development of the data exchange environment for maritime surveillance. The implementation period for the project extends from 1 September 2020 to 31 August 2022. The project is led by the Finnish Border Guard in cooperation with other Finnish Maritime Cooperation (FIMAC) authorities. The project partners also include other national authorities interested in having access to the situational picture for maritime surveillance.
The aim of the project is to technically integrate and deploy the data services provided through CISE and to support other authorities that are entitled to use these services. The aim is to deploy an operational data exchange test environment that will be defined and implemented through the EUCISE2020 project. The European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) is responsible for the 2019–2021 transition period leading up to the eventual European-wide implementation. Finland's national deployment project will be coordinated with the transition phase being led by EMSA.
The FINCISE2.0 (Valvonta 4) project consists of three sub-areas:
- Systems technology: Operational deployment of CISE
- Participation in the transition work of EMSA and the coordination of collaboration related to this in Finland
- Identifying the needs of other supervisory authorities with regards to situational data for sea areas and supporting the deployment of CISE and FIMAC data services
- Border security expert, lieutenant commander Mikko Hirvi, mikko.hirvi(at)raja.fi
- Project manager Heikki Kontro, heikki.kontro(at)raja.fi
- European Maritime Safety Agency EMSA’s CISE Homepage
- The Finnish Operational Program for the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF); 2020 Utilization plan for Integrated Maritime Policy (FI)