Contact the authorities if you arrive via EU and Schengen countries
There is no border control in the traffic between Schengen countries and free movement is in force.
Those in need of international protection are advised to contact the authorities immediately or as quickly as possible after arriving in Finland.
The Finnish Immigration Service has given guidelines for those who help people fleeing war or persecution. People offering help are recommended to familiarize with the guidelines on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.
The Finnish Border Guard does not take a stand on the travel document requirements that transport companies or carriers may have.
Valid travel documents are required from those arriving via the external border. Visa is required based on nationality. Visa can be issued at the border only in urgent situations evaluated individually.
The Finnish Border Guard is in charge of border check at Finland’s external borders. The Finnish Border Guard also receives asylum applications at Finland’s external borders.
Information for Ukrainian citizens on staying or applying for an asylum in Finland
Finnish Immigration Service (migri.fi)
- Instructions on arriving in Finland from Ukraine
- Temporary protection for those fleeing Ukraine
- In Ukrainian: Temporary protection for those fleeing Ukraine
- Frequently asked questions about Russia's attack on Ukraine (incl. seasonal workers and family members).
- Supervision of foreign nationals. Information on supervision of foreign nationals by the Police. The Police is in charge of receiving the asylum applications and registering the applicants at the internal borders.
Ministry of the Interior (intermin.fi)
- Activities of the Ministry of the Interior’s branch of government in the Ukraine crisis
- Helping Ukrainians
Occupational Safety and Health authority in Finland (tyosuojelu.fi)
- As a foreign employee in Finland, available also in ukrainian
National Assistance system for victims of human trafficking
- Assistance system for victims of human trafficking (ihmiskauppa.fi), available also in ukrainian.
Finnish Food Authority (foodauthority.fi)
- Pets traveling with refugees from Ukraine with their pets under force majeure circumstances, available also in ukrainian.